AgeTracker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 19, 2008

The secret is out!

Joe and I have been keeping a secret for a couple of months. Last night was the perfect opportunity to inform our parents that we are expecting twins! We went out to dinner with my mom, Patti, and Reggie for Reggie's birthday. Nobody had any idea what was about to happen. Everyone was shocked and excited! Jim and Julie came over shortly after we were finished eating, and we told Dan and Ali on the way home.

For those of you who are interested, I've posted a brief timeline of the past two plus months. Please let us know if you have any questions.


Thursday, August 7- Cycle day 3 (CD3). Began 21 day coarse of birth control pills.

Thursday, August 21- first acupuncture appointment. I go once a week until my egg retrieval day. I go the day before egg retrieval, the day before my embryo transfer, and two days after my embryo transfer.

Friday, August 22-Begin Lupron injections SQ (subcutaneous-superficial in the skin) 20 units every morning. This will eventually be changed to 5 units every morning. This medication suppresses ovulation.

Friday, August 29- Begin SQ injections of Bravelle and Menopur every evening. These are the drugs that make my ovaries produce many follicles at once. I have blood work and ultrasounds every other day while on these medications. As my follicles get bigger, it changes to everyday.

Sunday, September 7- HCG trigger shot. I inject myself with 10,000 units of HCG IM (intramuscular) at 7:30 pm. This medicine causes the multiple follicles (eggs) to mature. My ultrasound shows 16 follicles between 19 and 21mm, but my estrogen level is 1500-ish, which is much lower than it should be (3200-4000). Discontinue all other medications.

Tuesday, September 9-Egg retrieval day (7:30 am), and Joe’s pesa/tesa procedure (6:45 am). They were able to retrieve 9 eggs. I begin IM shots of progesterone every night.

Wednesday, September 10-First fertilization report: Out of the 9 eggs they retrieved, only 5 were mature and were fertilized.

Thursday, September 11- Second fertilization report: 3 of the embryos are growing well, one is a perfect grade 1, two are grade 2 (still not too bad). The other two are multinucleated.

Friday, September 12- Embryo transfer: After discussing it with the doctor, we transferred two day-3 embryos. We transferred one 8-cell embryo and one 7-cell embryo.


Tuesday, September 16- The remaining good embryo made it to day 6 so that it could be cryopreserved.

Saturday, September 20- I am diagnosed with Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome and have retained a lot of fluid in my abdomen.

Sunday, September 21- First abdominal aspiration (paracentesis). They drained around 4 liters of fluid from my abdomen. They drew blood for a pregnancy test-12 days post ovulation=133.

Wednesday September 24- Second abdominal aspiration. They drained around another 3 liters of fluid. I am pretty sick by this time (oliguria, electrolyte abdnormalities, hematocrit of 44.5, abdominal distention, shortness of breath…)

Friday, September 26- Second pregnancy test result is 787 (17 days post-ovulation or 14 days post-transfer). I do some research and realize it’s the extreme high end of normal. Could it be twins? I stop taking progesterone injections and switch to vaginal suppositories twice daily instead.

Monday, September 29- Third pregnancy test result is 2242 (17 days post-ovulation).

Friday, October 10- First ultrasound at 6 ½ weeks. It shows twins! We see two sacks and two heartbeats: 111 and 128. They are the perfect size for their age.


Saturday, October 18- We tell our family that we are expecting twins. Our official due date is June 2, 2009.

Friday, October 24- Second ultrasound (8 ½ weeks) is scheduled at 10 am.

Post Edit--We know of another person who is also expecting, but she wants to keep it quiet for a little longer.

6 comments:

Dan said...

O-M-G

Anonymous said...

To say it was a surprize is an understatement!!! I'm still in shock!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm so excited for you. Twins! How wonderful and overwhelming. I hope you are feeling better now.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you were able to keep IVF and 2 paracentesis a secret! I am so happy it worked on the first try for you guys and hope everything continues to develop well.

Anonymous said...

OK, not original, but O-M-G!!!

You are going to be awash with babies, how very cool!!!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!!!! That is so awesome, Debbie! I can't wait to see you as a mom : ) What lucky kids!